Application for the DOE SCGF
Thank you for your interest in the DOE Office of Science Graduate Fellowship (DOE SCGF). All applications must be completed online. You will be instructed to set up an account and password so you can save and access your application at any time.
Guidelines for submitting an application
1. Gather application materials.
To ensure that your application is submitted correctly and on time, allow sufficient time to gather necessary information and provide your responses.
- Office of Science Graduate Fellowship Application. The DOE SCGF application is available online. Click here to view a PDF sample of the application. This file is provided for reference only; only applications submitted online will be considered.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation. Applicants should request recommendations from professors, employers, supervisors, and/or professional colleagues. You should avoid recommendations from friends, family, and peers. Recommendations must be submitted online on your behalf. You may select the individuals you want to provide your letters of recommendation at the time that you begin the online application. You do not need to wait until your application is submitted before you notify your recommenders. You may view a sample of the letter of recommendation.
- Transcripts from all postsecondary institutions attended. You must follow the guidelines for the submission of Transcripts to ensure that your application receives full consideration.
- GRE scores for the general and subject GRE exams are optional, but are strongly encouraged.
2. Review important deadlines.
Wednesday, January 4, 2012, 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time (EST)
- Ensure ALL materials are submitted prior to the deadlines. The DOE SCGF online application system will close on this date and time. Applications will not be accepted after the system closes. NO EXCEPTIONS will be made.
- Only applications submitted through the DOE SCGF online application system will be considered. Applications submitted by postal mail or email directly to DOE or ORISE will not be considered.
- All transcripts must be uploaded into your application by the deadline. Transcripts sent by postal mail or email will not be accepted.
- If submitting GRE scores, you must take the GRE General Test and/or Subject Test by December 15, 2011 to ensure your scores will arrive in time to be considered with your application.
- All Letters of Recommendation submitted on your behalf must be submitted by this date using the online recommendation system. Letters of recommendation will not be accepted after the system closes. NO EXCEPTIONS will be made.
- Letters of Recommendation submitted by postal mail or email directly to DOE or ORISE will not be considered.
- All applications that do not have all three letters of recommendation submitted by Wednesday, January 4, 2012 will not be further considered.
3. Familiarize yourself with the Fellowship benefits, obligations, and eligibility requirements.
- Familiarize yourself with the program requirements and obligations to determine whether your education and professional goals are well aligned with the DOE SCGF program.
- Before you begin your essays, read the Merit Review Criteria that will be used to evaluate your application. It is your responsibility to ensure that sufficient details are provided in your application to address the Merit Review Criteria.
4. Explore the Department of Energy's Office of Science program areas.
Learn more about the DOE Office of Science mission and program areas. The alignment of your planned field of graduate study and graduate research to the DOE Office of Science mission is an important element of the merit review criteria, and should be reflected in your application essays.
5. Complete an application
- The online application may be completed using Internet Explorer 7, Internet Explorer 8, Firefox 3.6 for PC, or Safari OSX (on Macintosh).
- If you have any difficulty in viewing the application, you may increase the font size using your browser settings or by pressing the Control key with the + key on your keyboard repeatedly until the font is the desired size.
- The online application will time out after one hour of activity. To keep your session active, be sure to save the page at least once an hour.